Many families rely on child care for their young children while they go to work or to school. High quality child care plays a very important role in your child’s learning and development, as well as to get your child ready for school. There are many different kinds of child care and picking the right one for your child is important. Learn more about the child care options available in Oxford County and the St. Thomas area.
Different types of child care available:
- Private home caregiver or babysitter
- Home child care
- Child care centres
- Nursery schools or preschools
When deciding which child care is best for your child, think about:
- What will your child do while there
- What your child needs for healthy growth and development
- Would it be somewhere your child would like and be comfortable
- What you need in terms of hours of operation, location and how you will get there
- What is available in your area
- How much will it cost
- Finding Quality Childcare checklist (Childcare Resource and Research Unit and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers)
The Ontario Ministry of Children and Youth Services wants to provide more families with access to high quality child care and early learning and you may be eligible to receive a child care fee subsidy.
If you have a child with special needs, you may qualify for funding for care to give you a break, otherwise known as Respite Care. Find Respite Services in your area.