Influenza Diagnosis and Treatment
Immunization against the flu helps save lives. The flu vaccination is a patient’s best defense against the influenza virus.
The Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada (AMMI) has developed comprehensive “Influenza Information and Treatment” guidelines. For complete recommendations, download the guidelines from AMMI Canada.
Health care providers play an important role in preventing the spread of influenza. As a health care provider, you can help your patients make an informed decision about influenza immunization.
It’s important to recommend the flu shot to all your eligible patients. Research shows:
- When health care providers recommend a flu shot, patients are more likely to get one. Eight out of 10 people take their physician’s advice and get immunized.
- When health care providers get a flu shot, they reduce the risk of passing the virus on to patients, especially vulnerable people who are more at risk of complications.
- Universal Influenza Immunization Program (UIIP)
- NACI Statement on seasonal influenza vaccine
- Ministry of Health UIIP Influenza Vaccine Products
- Canadian Immunization Guide Chapter on Influenza and Statement on Seasonal Influenza Vaccine for 2020-2021
- Supplemental Statement - Mammalian Cell Culture-Based Influenza Vaccines – An Advisory Committee Statement (2020-21)
- Influenza Vaccine Information – Ministry of Health
- Product monographs:
Components of the 2020-2021 influenza vaccine:
The periodic replacement of viruses contained in the influenza vaccines is necessary in order for the vaccines to be effective due to the constant evolving nature of influenza viruses, including those circulating and infecting humans.
The World Health Organization (WHO) Recommended composition of influenza virus vaccines for use in the 2020 - 2021 northern hemisphere influenza season.
- Vaccine Order Forms for Health Care Providers in Elgin St. Thomas
- Vaccine Order Forms for Health Care Providers in Oxford County
Pharmacies: Contact your flu vaccine distributor