Municipal Water

Boy drinking from outdoor water fountain

Municipalities own — or have water supplied to them — through various types of drinking water systems. 

The provincial government, through the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change, regulates these systems to ensure water safety and quality. 

This includes:

  • registering all municipal drinking water systems
  • licensing system owners/operators
  • authorizing operators to run and maintain drinking water systems
  • issuing drinking water works permits to modify, repair or extend drinking water systems

Every owner and operator of a drinking water system must ensure that:

  • the system’s water meets Ontario’s Drinking Water Quality Standards
  • anyone who operates or works on their system is properly trained and licensed
  • drinking water tests are done by licensed, accredited laboratories
  • adverse test results are reported to the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change and the local medical officer of health

Links to Municipalities & Townships

Boil Water Advisory (BWA) Frequently Asked Questions

Lake Huron Primary Water Supply System: This site provides the latest reports on the Elgin Area water system that feeds Elgin County and St. Thomas.

Oxford County provides safe, potable drinking water for municipalities within the County of Oxford.