Special Events are temporary events, either for special occasions, charity or commercial purposes that may provide food to the public. Anyone that plans to participate in such an event and provide food to the public must submit the required information online or download, fill out, and submit the form to Southwestern Public Health.
For large events (more than one vendor):
- The event organizer must notify Southwestern Public Health of the event using the Special Events Organizer Notification Form. This form must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the event; however, the attached vendor list may be updated until one week prior to the event.
- The event organizer is responsible for ensuring that each food vendor at the event submits an individual Special Event Vendor Notification Form prior to selling ANY food items at the location. This form must be submitted to Southwestern Public Health at least 14 days prior to the event.
For small events (a single vendor/organization):
- Only the Special Event Vendor Notification Form must be submitted. This form must be submitted to Southwestern Public Health at least 14 days prior to the event.
All special event forms may be submitted by:
|St. Thomas Site||Woodstock Site|
1230 Talbot St
St. Thomas, ON N5P 1G9
410 Buller St
Woodstock, ON N4S 4N2
|Fax: 519-633-0468||Fax: 519-539-6206|
|Online: By visiting the Special Event and Farmers’ Market Forms section of our website|
A Public Health Inspector will review the submission forms, and if there are any questions or concerns, they will contact the person responsible.
If you have any questions with the special event application process, please call 1-800-922-0096.
NOTE: It is important to remember that during these special events, food must be prepared and handled in a manner that meets the requirements of the Ontario Food Premises Regulation (R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 493/17). It is the food vendor’s responsibility to ensure that all food safety requirements are met.
For more information on special event requirements, please review the following resources:
Resources & Information for Special Events
- Guidelines for Organizers and Workers at Special Events
- Non-Inspected Premise Sign for Exempt Food Premises
- Portable Handwashing Station
How to set up a temporary hand-washing station for settings like fairs, midways or special events
- Smoking and Tobacco Sales at Special Events
If you are planning a special event you are required to comply with the provisions of the Smoke Free Ontario Act.